- Happy Father’s Day with Homemade Crepes
- Chipotle Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Brussels Sprout and Avocado Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing
- Chicken Burgers with Chipotle Guacamole
- Pistachio Encrusted Chicken
- Encrusted Parmesan Artichoke Chicken
- Honey and White Cheddar Apple Bites
- Spider Cakes (Golden Butter Cakes with Peanut Butter Icing)
- Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- Berry Studded Honey Cloud Pancakes
- Shredded Pork and Grilled Pineapple Tacos
- Sassy Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Shredded Pork
- Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Biscoff Milkshake
- Grilled Halloumi Cheese and Mango Salad
Daily Archives: October 3, 2011
I have spiders on the brain. Could be due to the fact that I have a new “roommate”. He has moved in on my front porch and despite my efforts to evict him, he seems determined to stay. Hoping he at least make a dent in the bug population out there.
So if I can’t beat this little arachnid I will at least take some creative inspiration from him. As a follow up to the Swap Cakes I made this weekend I am now inspired to make Black Bean “Spider” Burgers. I promise, these tasty little burgers only look scary. The best part is that they are so creative and fun they may even inspire your pickiest eater to try something new!
This would be a great meal for Halloween night before the little kiddies head out for the trick-or-treat trail. You can make the black bean burgers and the chipotle cream sauce the night before. Then reheat the burgers and assemble the parts into the “spiders” before you are ready to serve. If you want to get really creative you can use the chipotle sauce to make a spider web on the plate. Easy breezy Halloween dinner done!
Black Bean “Spider” Burgers
- Black Bean Burgers (recipe below)
- 2 yellow or orange bell peppers
- Chipotle Cream Sauce (recipe below)
Make black bean burgers. While burgers are baking, make chipotle cream sauce.
Once black bean burgers are done remove from oven. Cut bell pepper into “spider legs”.
Place black bean burger on a plate. Insert the bell pepper “legs”. Serve with Chipotle Cream Sauce.
Black Bean Burgers
Prep time: 5 minutes - Cook time: 35 minutes - Makes: 5-6 burgers
- 1 ½ tablespoon oil
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoky paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup non-fat Greek Yogurt (or substitute sour cream)
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a baking pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Place oil in skillet and heat to medium high.
Add diced onions and saute for 5-7 minutes. Add diced garlic and saute for an additional minute. Add cumin, smoked paprika and salt, stir to incorporate and saute for 1 minute.
Place 2 slices of bread into the food processor. Pulse until you get bread crumbs. Add sauteed onions in a food processor. Add 1/2 of the black beans. (set other half aside), yogurt to the food processor. Pulse for a couple of seconds until ingredients are well mixed and smooth.
Spoon black bean and onion mixture into a bowl. Add the other half of black beans and the cooked brown rice. Stir until mixed.
Use your hands to form black bean mixture into patties. Place patties on the prepared baking sheet so that they are not touching.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Chipotle Cream Sauce
Prep time: 4 minutes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup non-fat plain greek yogurt (or substitute sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, diced
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
Place ingredients in a mini food processor and pulse until smooth. Place sauce in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Incoming search terms:
- spider burgers
- halloween burgers
- spider burger
- bean spider
- spider burgers recipe
- spider hamburgers
- halloween spider burger
- halloween dinner recipes
- chipotle mayonnaise cream sauce recipe
- make a spider web