- Brussels Sprout and Avocado Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing
- Chicken Burgers with Chipotle Guacamole
- Pistachio Encrusted Chicken
- Encrusted Parmesan Artichoke Chicken
- Honey and White Cheddar Apple Bites
- Spider Cakes (Golden Butter Cakes with Peanut Butter Icing)
- Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- Berry Studded Honey Cloud Pancakes
- Shredded Pork and Grilled Pineapple Tacos
- Sassy Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Shredded Pork
- Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Biscoff Milkshake
- Grilled Halloumi Cheese and Mango Salad
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- Chicken Wrap with Avocado Mayonnaise
Daily Archives: February 3, 2012
Did you know that more women die from heart disease than all forms of cancer combined?? So today we wear red to show support and raise awareness for women’s heart health. Happy National Wear Red Day!
Since we are talking heart disease today do you know the top risk factors?
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol
- Being overweight
- Being physically inactive
- Having a family history of early heart disease
- Age (55 or older for women)
As you can see diet can play a big role in risk factors for heart disease. The good news what we eat is almost totally within out control!
So my recipe for today is dedicated to taking care of our hearts. I took a family favorite, the all-American beef burger, and gave it a complete overall. The new version uses black beans, garbanzo beans and pepper jack cheese to create a savory delicious meatless-burger. This meatless-burger recipe is largely based on the Pub Grub Veggie Burger recipe found in Veggie Burgers Every Which Way by Lukas Volger with a few of my own tweaks.
These burgers are really versatile and they are just as great reheated the next day. My most common method of serving them is bunless with a side salad (they make an excellent brown bag lunch this way!). But you can always choose to dress them up more like a traditional burger with a bun and your favorite burger toppings like lettuce, cheese and tomatoes.
I am making Pub Grub Burgers for my Superbowl party this weekend. Instead of regular size burgers I am making sliders (mini burgers) and topping them with an avocado slice and a drizzle of low fat chipotle cream. After all I want my friends to all be heart healthy too!
Note: The Undercover Cook is a cook and nutrition enthusiast NOT a health care professional. If you have specific dietary needs, diet restrictions or health concerns please consult your health care provider or a registered dietician for information on what foods are best for you. Food suggestions from The Undercover Cook should not replace diet advice from licensed health professionals.
Pub Grub Burgers
Prep Time: 10 minutes - Cook time: 15 minutes - Makes: 8 burgers
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can low sodium black beans, drained, rinsed and divided in half
- 1 can low sodium garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cup Italian panko crumbs
- 1 cup (about 3.5 oz) grated pepper jack cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup canola or extra virgin olive oil
- non-stick cooking spray
Place a large skillet on high heat. Spray generously with non-stick cooking spray. When skillet is hot add diced onions. Reduce heat to medium high and saute onions for 4-5 minutes or until onions are soft.
Pour cook onions into a food processor. (Set skillet aside to use later to cook burgers.) Add 1/2 can of black beans, garbanzo, chili powder, salt, garlic powder and 3 whisked eggs. pulse until just combined.
Pour mixture into large bowl. Add remaining 1/2 can of black beans, panko crumbs, shredded cheese and fresh thyme leaves. Stir to combine. Divide mixture into 8 portions and form into patties.
Return large skillet to medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons oil. Saute 4 burgers at a time to avoid over crowding in the pan. Saute burgers for 10 minutes, gently turning burgers half way through. Burgers should be nicely browned on both sides. Set burgers on a paper towel lined plate to drain off any excess oil. Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan and then saute the remaining 4 burgers. Serve and enjoy!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy!
Incoming search terms:
- pub grub veggie burgers
- pub grub veggie burger recipe
- pub burger cook time
- GRUB BURGERS
- pubgrub veggie burgers
- Veggie Burgers Every Which Way Smoked Tofu Burgers
- bunless burger
- pub grub veggie burger
- pub grub burger veggie burger
- pub grub veggie burger calories