I am always on the hunt for interesting new breakfast ideas particularly ones that incorporate protein instead of just straight out carbs. I found a recipe for Savory Breakfast Muffins over on The Comfort of Cooking.
I decide to healthy the recipe up a bit with a few little changes. I swap out pork sausage for turkey sausage and used a white and wheat flour blend instead of Bisquick among a few other tweaks. The result was a tasty cheesy sausage biscuit.
My family really enjoyed this change of pace a breakfast. I hope yours will too.
Savory Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Muffins
Prep time: 5 minutes - Cook time: 35 minutes - Makes: 16 muffins
- 1 lb turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup all purpose white flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups milk
Preheat oven to 375º F. Line one medium-sized-cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
Saute sausage crumbling the sausage with a metal spoon as it cooks. Drain excess grease and place in a large bowl.
Add white all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder shredded cheese and thyme leaves. Toss together with a fork.
Add eggs and milk to the other ingredients in the bowl. Mix well.
Scoop 1/4 cup of the muffin mixture into each preprepared muffin tin. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Serve and enjoy!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy!
Incoming search terms:
- savory breakfast muffins
- sausage breakfast muffins
- savory sausage muffins
- sausage cheese breakfast muffins
- breakfast muffins sausage
- breakfast muffins with sausage
- breakfast sausage muffins
- sausage and cheese breakfast muffins
- savory breakfast muffin recipes
- turkey breakfast muffins