- Happy Father’s Day with Homemade Crepes
- Chipotle Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Brussels Sprout and Avocado Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing
- Chicken Burgers with Chipotle Guacamole
- Pistachio Encrusted Chicken
- Encrusted Parmesan Artichoke Chicken
- Honey and White Cheddar Apple Bites
- Spider Cakes (Golden Butter Cakes with Peanut Butter Icing)
- Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- Berry Studded Honey Cloud Pancakes
- Shredded Pork and Grilled Pineapple Tacos
- Sassy Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Shredded Pork
- Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Biscoff Milkshake
- Grilled Halloumi Cheese and Mango Salad
January 2015 M T W T F S S « Jun 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Category Archives: whole grains
Last weekend was Mother’s Day. Thanks to some nonstop prompting by the characters on the Disney Channel, my little guy who is barely 3 years-old, walked around enthusiastically saying “Happy Mother’s Day” all day long. (Thank you Walt!) He beamed with glee very time he said it and I couldn’t help being just so thankful that this wonderful little angel found his way into my life.
Since my little guy is too young to make me breakfast or any other traditional Mother’s Day offerings we opted instead to make one of my favorite soups together – Cream of Mushroom Soup with Wild Rice. He was in charge of washing the mushrooms and dropping ingredients in the pot, while I was in charge of chopping and stirring things once they got hot. We make a pretty good team in the kitchen….well some of the time at least.
Cream of Mushroom Soup with Wild Rice is actually very easy to make. Chopping the mushrooms is about the most time consuming part and I suppose if you were really pressed for time you could buy those pre-chopped if you had to. You can mix it up and use different combinations of mushrooms if you prefer. I generally use a combination of white buttons, crimini and shitaki.
I hope you had a fabulous Mother’s Day. And if you forgot to get your own mom a little something for Mother’s Day, I hear homemade soup is very much appreciated!
Cream of Mushroom Soup with Wild Rice
Prep time: 20 minutes - Cook time: 15 minutes - Makes: about 8 cups
- 1/3 lb crimini mushrooms
- 1/3 lb white button mushrooms
- 1/3 lb shitaki mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 green onions. thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 32 oz vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups cooked wild and brown rice blend
- 1 cup heavy cream
- sprigs of thyme for garnish (if desired)
Clean mushrooms if needed then cut of stalks and discard. Thinly slice mushroom caps.
Place butter and olive oil in large heavy pot on medium-high heat. Melt butter. Add onions, garlic and thyme and sizzle for 1 minute or until garlic starts to turn golden.
Add sliced mushrooms and a good heavy pinch of salt and pepper. Saute the mushrooms soften, about 3-4 minutes. Add flour and saute for another minute.
Add vegetable broth and stir well to incorporate. Add cooked wild and brown rice. Reduce heat to medium and bring soup to a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes stirring occasionally.
Turn the heat off, add cream and stir. Allow soup to heat gently but do not boil. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
Garnish with chopped green onions or a sprig of fresh thyme if desired and serve hot.
Incoming search terms:
- homemade cream of mushroom soup
- rice with cream of mushroom soup
- cream of mushroom soup rice
- cream of mushroom soup with wild rice
- cream of mushroom soup
- creamy wild rice and mushroom soup
- cream of mushroom soup and rice
- homemade mushroom soup
- rice and cream of mushroom soup
- cream of mushroom and wild rice soup crock pot
The weekend breakfast routine in our house is pretty standard. Saturday mornings we make homemade multigrain blueberry pancakes and Sunday morning we have leftover homemade multigrain blueberry pancakes. It is a routine I look forward to every week day in between.
Last week however we went on vacation. 5 families with 9 kids between us in 2 condos at the beach. It was awesome! It was also definitely a break from the routine with lots of junk food and lots of eating out.
One morning though my dear friend April got up and made an actual healthy breakfast for the whole crew – multigrain pancakes using Bob’s Red Mill pancake mix. The pancakes were delicious and the mix gave me great inspiration to short cut a little on my normal weekend breakfast routines back home.
This weekend I went for a more semi-homemade version of pancakes. I used the Bob’s Red Mill mix but then changed things up by swapping out most of the oil for yogurt and adding in a few extras like frozen blueberries, pecans and a dash of vanilla. The results were scrumptious and definitely a few steps easier than pancakes from scratch.
Little dude preferred his pancakes with a smear of almond butter and jelly. I chose to top mine with fresh strawberries and a little real maple syrup. We both gave breakfast two thumbs up!!
Shortcut Multigrain Blueberry Pecan Pancakes
Prep time: 5 minutes - Cook time: 15 minutes - Makes: about 16 pancakes
- 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 10 Grain Pancake and Waffle Mix
- 6 oz low fat french vanilla (or plain) yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 chopped pecans
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Nonstick cooking spray
Place Bob’s Red Mill mix, eggs, vanilla and milk into a large mixing bowl. Mix until well combined. (Add additional milk if desired for thinner batter.) Add pecans and mix.
Heat griddle or skillet to a mediam high. Spray with non-stick cooking spray. (I use olive oil spray.)
Pour a scant 1/4 cup batter onto hot griddle for each pancake. Drop in a few frozen blueberries. Cook until bubbly then flip. Finish cooking until fully cooked. Serve warm with toppings of choice.
Bloggers Note: Just in case you are wondering, I did not receive compensation or free product from the Bob’s Red Mill brand. I just happened to try the product, liked it and decided to share my find with you.
Incoming search terms:
- how to make homemade bobs red mill pancake mix
- semi homemade pancakes
- muffin recipe using trader joes multigrain baking mix
- jelly on top of pancake
- homemade multi grain blueberry pancakes
- trader joes multi grain pancake mix recipes
- trader joes multigrain pancake mix muffin recipe
- homemade blueberry pecan pancakes
- blueberry pecan pancakes
- trader joe\s multigrain pancake mix muffin recipe
I am always on the hunt for interesting new breakfast ideas particularly ones that incorporate protein instead of just straight out carbs. I found a recipe for Savory Breakfast Muffins over on The Comfort of Cooking.
I decide to healthy the recipe up a bit with a few little changes. I swap out pork sausage for turkey sausage and used a white and wheat flour blend instead of Bisquick among a few other tweaks. The result was a tasty cheesy sausage biscuit.
My family really enjoyed this change of pace a breakfast. I hope yours will too.
Savory Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Muffins
Prep time: 5 minutes - Cook time: 35 minutes - Makes: 16 muffins
- 1 lb turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup all purpose white flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 1/2 cups milk
Preheat oven to 375º F. Line one medium-sized-cup muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
Saute sausage crumbling the sausage with a metal spoon as it cooks. Drain excess grease and place in a large bowl.
Add white all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder shredded cheese and thyme leaves. Toss together with a fork.
Add eggs and milk to the other ingredients in the bowl. Mix well.
Scoop 1/4 cup of the muffin mixture into each preprepared muffin tin. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely. Serve and enjoy!
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy!
Incoming search terms:
- savory breakfast muffins
- sausage breakfast muffins
- savory sausage muffins
- sausage cheese breakfast muffins
- breakfast muffins sausage
- breakfast muffins with sausage
- savory breakfast muffin recipes
- breakfast sausage muffins
- sausage and cheese breakfast muffins
- savory breakfast muffins recipes