- Happy Father’s Day with Homemade Crepes
- Chipotle Black Bean and Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- Brussels Sprout and Avocado Salad with Lemon Dijon Dressing
- Chicken Burgers with Chipotle Guacamole
- Pistachio Encrusted Chicken
- Encrusted Parmesan Artichoke Chicken
- Honey and White Cheddar Apple Bites
- Spider Cakes (Golden Butter Cakes with Peanut Butter Icing)
- Black Bean and Mango Salsa
- Berry Studded Honey Cloud Pancakes
- Shredded Pork and Grilled Pineapple Tacos
- Sassy Tex-Mex Slow Cooker Shredded Pork
- Peanut Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Biscoff Milkshake
- Grilled Halloumi Cheese and Mango Salad
April 2014 M T W T F S S « Jun 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Tag Archives: squash
This time of year zucchini and yellow squash are plentiful. Most people have 1 or 2 ways they typically cook these veggies. For me my go-to ways of cooking zucchini and squash are sautéing them with onions or roasting them in the oven. However, today I am breaking out of the squash rut and trying something new and unexpected with these normally predictable staples of summer. On today’s menu: Oven-Fried Cornmeal Zucchini Fritters.
I got the original inspiration for this recipe from a recipe on The Yellow House. What intrigued me most about Sarah’s’s recipe for Zucchini Fritters was that they were baked and not fried. I am always on the hunt for great near-fried versions of fried food favorites, so I had to give them a try!
These fritters are fairly easy to make. I will warn you that you are going to get your hands a little messy making them, as the best way to mix up the zucchini and corn meal mixture and then form the patties is with your hands. Don’t worry though, clean-up is very easy and these tasty little fritters are totally 5 minutes of messy hand!
I would like to point out one thing about making these Oven-Fried Cornmeal Zucchini Fritters. Because we are simulating frying in the oven rather than pan frying or deep frying the fritters, it is really important that after you grate the zucchini that you press the excess water out of the zucchini shreds before mixing them with the other ingredients. This is a really easy to do. Just put the zucchini shreds between several sheets of papers towels or a in a tea towel and simply press the bundle with your hands. (I generally do half of the grated zucchini at a time.) If you skip this step, your fritters will steam and get mushy rather than crisp up in the oven. Mushy fritters are not good eats!
To add a little more flavor to the recipe I added some thyme and garlic salt. I also added a little olive oil to get a better oven–fried texture. Otherwise my fritters are fairly similar to the original version from The Yellow House. Give them a try and let me know what you think.
Oven-Fried Cornmeal Zucchini Fritters
Prep time: 8 minutes – Cook time: 25 minutes – Makes: 8 fritters
- 2 medium zucchini, grated (about 2 cups)
- 1 small onion, very finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- garlic salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- non-stick cooking spray
Preheat oven to 400º. Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
Use a box grater to shred the zucchini. Place shredded zucchini in several layers of paper towels or in a tea towel and press out extra moisture.
After removing excess water, place zucchini shreds into a medium size mixing bowl. Add onions, corn meal, flour, thyme, parmesan and beaten egg. Add a sprinkle of garlic salt and fresh cracked black pepper to the mixture. Stir until well mixed. (Hands work best for mixing and forming the fritters!)
Use your hands to form 8 fritters, placing each one individually on the prepared baking sheet. Fritters should be at least 2 inches apart and not touching.
Drizzle ¼ teaspoon olive oil over the top of each fritter. Place pan in the in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
Take pan out of the oven and flip fritters over with a spatula. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon olive oil over the top of each fritter and return plan to the oven.
Continue baking for 10 minutes or until fritters start to get crispy and slightly brown around the edges. Remove pan from oven. Sprinkle fritters with garlic salt. Serve and enjoy!
Incoming search terms:
- zucchini cornmeal fritters
- cornmeal zucchini fritters
- zucchini fritters with cornmeal
- squash fritters cornmeal
- zucchini fritters corn meal with parmesan
- zucchini fritters cornmeal
- zucchini fritters corn meal
- cornmeal zucchini
- cornmeal zucchini pancakes
- zucchini cornmeal